Journalism's Future ... Now

The Mānoa Mirror

Journalism's Future ... Now

The Mānoa Mirror

Journalism's Future ... Now

The Mānoa Mirror

The story behind Kaka’ako’s bustling street art scene

Thanks to the project World Wide Walls, Kaka‘ako’s once dull walls are now iconic to the neighborhood.
The project, started by Jasper Wong, connects artists worldwide in an invaluable space early in their careers and helps communities with impactful murals.
Wong saw the large blank walls in Kaka’ako as an opportunity to liven up the area.
Wong grew up in Hawai’i, but due to budget cuts in schools, there was not a big art scene. In 2007, he moved to San Francisco to go to art college. While he was there, he experienced the “golden era” of art.
Rejections from multiple art galleries brought Wong to Hong Kong.
“I got rejected a lot during that period when I was trying to show my work in Hong Kong, I ended up opening my gallery,” Wong said. “I wanted to find a way to provide a platform for artists and continue showing my work somehow.”
Making it as an artist involves many trials and tribulations, so Wong started POW! WOW!, a non-profit that.allows artists to collaborate and grow together. He also builds bridges for artists to grow communities by working collaboratively.
When Wong saw large walls in Kaka’ako, he decided to use them.
The painted murals in Kaka’ako revitalized the neighborhood and allowed people to view art outside of a museum.
“We went on, we’re like painting murals and outdoor spaces,” Wong said. “It’s the bill for the missions that we wanted to achieve.”
With a similar mission, Gangway Gallery in Kaka‘ako showcases art from local and international artists. Their gallery creates an environment for the artist to freely express their creativity through their pieces.
World Wide Walls and Gangway Gallery offer artists outlets for improving their communities.