Many attendees showed excitement at Miss. Kelly Price’s performance.
Gabriela Cervantes

Drag Night at UH shows unique Hawai’i style

Event sponsored by Lambda Law and Filipino Law student association is back for the first time post-Covid

Drag Night was back Thursday at the William S. Richardson School of Law for the first time since 2019, aiming to showcase drag performers, māhū storytellers and the unique drag culture of Hawai’i while destigmatizing queer dramatic arts and fostering fellowship across diverse identities.

“We are revitalizing an old tradition, and we’re really happy to be doing it and extending this work to undergrads, grad students at other campuses and other schools,” said Afsoon Shirazi, the president of Lambda Law Hawaii, one of the event co-sponsors, along with the Filipino Law Student Association. “I think building community across people, extending warmth and solidarity, no matter what your background is, is essential to feeling like you have a place in the world.”

Attendees were treated to an array of performances that showcased the multifaceted talent within the LGBTQ+ community. Drag queens graced the stage with their presence, captivating the audience with their charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent. Māhū storytellers shared narratives that celebrated the cultural heritage of Hawai’i, weaving tales of resilience and empowerment.

“This event is a chance for us to foster a community for the LGBTQ-plus community on our campus, and to help promote different cultures and communities,” said Steven Manso, a first-year law student at the UH law school. “It’s just a good chance to celebrate people’s identities.”

The origins of drag and drag queens trace back to the 1800s when men began impersonating females for theatrical and entertainment purposes. Over time, though, this art form has evolved significantly and gained mainstream popularity, becoming a beloved form of entertainment nationwide as Illusions the Drag Queen Show Honolulu states on its website.

In Honolulu, drag queen shows have particularly captured the public’s interest, becoming sought-after attractions.

In contemporary culture, drag is celebrated as an art form where individuals can transform themselves into captivating personas, whether they be fabulous women or iconic celebrities. Through dramatic costumes, expressive physicality, and vocal performances, live drag performances captivate audiences with their artistic beauty and skillful expression.

Throughout the evening, attendees experienced a lively atmosphere filled with energy and unity. Applause and laughter were heard as performers showcased their talents on stage, demonstrating authenticity and confidence.

The event provided a space for individuals to express themselves freely and without judgment, highlighting the importance of inclusive environments. The Drag Night Show at the William S. Richardson School of Law was deemed a success, showcasing unity, acceptance, and the celebration of queer culture.