Alums and current students of the School of Cinematic Arts showcased their imaginative short films Saturday for the Night at the Movies Event, hosted by the Honolulu Museum of Art.
Christopher Hutton

Cinematic Arts brings its show to museum

Night at the Movies event debut features a mix of narrative, documentary and animated short films from nine filmmakers

Students of the UH School of Cinematic Arts and their supporters showcased a variety of imaginative short films Saturday during the debut of “Night at the Movies,” an event hosted at the Honolulu Museum of Art.

The school’s advisory board selected Kaimana Broadhurst’s “NaHuaka’iPō: Voyagers of the Night” film as the top submission to the event. Justin Pascua’s “Homestead” received the second-place commendation.

“This experience was nice because it was the first time I felt supported by my community,” Broadhurst said, “and it acknowledged all the hard work I put in while a student at UH.” Broadhurst’s piece focuses on a tourist who arrives at an Airbnb, but he learns what happens when he ignores the host’s advice and leaves the door open at night.

Pascua’s “Homestead” follows Liane and her grandson Aiden as they work on her Japanese cucumber farm. Liane shares memories and plans to return to Laos to reconnect with her children.

Other films screened at the event were:

• “Put Ka’ Uahi’” by Kalilinoe Detwiler, an animated short film following Pele, a “hot-tempered volcano goddess.” Pele is challenged to a race from Puna to Hilo, from Kamapua’a, a shape-shifter.
  • “Hawaiian Soul” by ‘Āina Paikai, which features George Helm, a musician and activist, and shows key moments throughout his life and his work in activism to protect Kaho’olawe from military bombings.
  • “Messages” by Daniel Oka, an animated short film that explores intrusive thoughts and the effects of bullying and phones on children today.
  • “E Mālama Pono, Willy Boy” by Kekama Amona, which follows a Hawaiian officer as he is called in to remove Hawaiians from a settlement deemed illegal by the state. Does he do his job or do what is right?
  • “The Pākalā Kids” by Gavin Arucan, an animated short film following best friends Lani and Dixie as they journey up Waimea Canyon.
  • “I Will Be Your Breath” by Malia Adams, which follows a Hawaiian woman named Kamahina as she reflects on her great-grandmother and her place within her culture.
  • “Moloka’i Bound” by Alika Maikau Tengan, which portrays a man recently released from prison attempting to reconnect with his son and his Hawaiian heritage.

The Night at the Movies event hopes to return next year at the Honolulu Museum of Art, featuring more short films made by your fellow students. And yes, light pupus was provided at the end of the screenings.