UH Residence Hall students posing with a flower craft at the Kenough event.
UH Residence Hall students posing with a flower craft at the “Kenough” event.
McKenzie Kurosu

Residence Hall students at UH show just how ‘Kenough’ they really are

The student-led UH Manoa Residence Hall Association hosted a Barbie-themed event this month in tribute to self awareness

After a successful “Barbie’s Silent Disco” in August, residence hall students continued the popular new movie’s theme with a “You Are Kenough” party in September.

To celebrate, the Gateway Cafeteria at UH Mānoa was transformed into “Ken’s Mojo Dojo Casa House,” and about 80 students gathered to make crafts, including customized slime and pipe-cleaner flowers, and wrote messages to classmates on an affirmation wall. Notes on the wall included such statements as “Your worth isn’t defined by grades,” “I am happy you’re here” and “I hope you feel loved.”

The event, sponsored by the student-led UH Mānoa Residence Hall Association, also featured a Barbie-themed photobooth, where students could take Polaroid photos as keepsakes.

“It’s a fun, therapeutic way to just connect with others and kind of bond,” said Alexis Moguel, RHA’s vice president of marketing.

Squishable slime, a tool for stress relief, was the main attraction, with six stations set up to make and share the substance as an expression of self-love. To begin making a slime, residents were able to select from a Slime Menu created by RHA staff. The menu featured a variety of colors and toppings for customization. Different stations for glue, activators, food coloring, shaving cream, and charms were available as well. After the final product was complete, residents shared their creations with classmates.

At the end of the event, participants received complimentary instant ramen packets and took home their slime creations.

“This program comes as a reminder to the UH residents,” said Roma Malasarte, RHA’s vice president of operations, “to take care of themselves and to also take a break from all the busy priorities and
responsibilities that they have.”